Monday, September 2, 2013

Bhaag Millkha Bhaag Movie Review

So I just saw Bhaag Milkha Bhaag...and honestly I am totally confused and conflicted.....its one of those movies that I want to like and be inspired by and no matter what be biased towards because its about a great man who brought great pride to India....but unfortunately by doing so I will only be lying to myself....I mean yes Milkha Singh is a great man and has a great story to tell....but unfortunately I did not think that the movie did justice to that...for all you guys who liked the movie and think Im just a hater....let me explain myself here...Mainly there were three things that I did not like about the movie...ONE...I get that he is an amazing personality and fought through some tough times to achieve his goals but as I watch the movie I cant help feel (what I consider) is the over dramatization of certain aspects....I mean yes its a movie...it needs to be dramatic ...and I dont have a problem with that. I have a problem with how over the top some of it felt (over the top only because I was relating it to real life with some extraordinary circumstances)....I never thought I would say this... but Guru was a biopic too and although I am not a huge fan of the movie I appreciate (now more than ever) the realism that Mani Ratnam tried to keep in the movie....i think it made the movie even more inspiring ...(I mean no real hero is all white ..there is always some grey in there)...TWO...What was up with the screenplay dude....it was jumping around like a kangaroo with no real structure....Interestingly I think Rakeysh OP M is one of the few directors in bollywood who can handle a non-linear narrative (case in point RDB)...I love non-linear narratives but only when it all makes sense even if it does so in a really convoluted manner....R O M jumps around one decade to another so abruptly that by the end of it I dont feel truly connected with Milkha at any of his different ages...comparing it to RDB I thought RDB was so beautifully scripted that at no point was the change in timeline distracting...in fact it felt so much more smoother and continuos.....THREE...I felt like with this film R O M for the first time experimented with slow motion HD shots...wow I felt like if you just sped up the slow mos...the movie would've ended 15 minutes earlier...dont get me wrong...some of the takings were beautiful but the fact that most of it was repetitive and random was what irritated me...for example...Sonam and Farhan's love story had three important aspects...Sonam, Farhan and a bucket of water...ever 2 minutes (in a 20 minute long story) there was a random slow mo shot of water splashing in a bucket or out of a bucket or out of a tap or on the ground... WAIT WHAT?? :| .....On the other hand...I loved Farhan...it was a brilliant attempt...he physically and mentally transformed himself into Milkha Singh...some time back I had seen an interview of Milkha Singh...he had peculiar walk...I loved the way Farhan imbibed that into his portrayal and kept it constant throughout the movie...Pawan Malhotra absolutely brilliant as usual...Prakash Raj was playing a different character for once and did so with ease...Yograj Singh (although rough around the edges)...seemed the right choice as the coach...Sonam did well in her cameo...s barely had one or two dialogues but no one's complaining ..she looked pretty but I thats what R OP M wanted from her character...at the end of the day...for those of you who dont wanna read the whole review (and I understand)...my first thought after watching the movie was that...I wish they had made a documentary for History channel or something and brought in more realism...than make a movie about a truly great personality but loose the realism just because a movie needs over dramatization....Just a thought... 

No comments:

Post a Comment